April 7, 2021 Team Determined: Making Connections Through Memories
Suncoast Campaign for Grade-Level Reading utilizes Mind in the Making (MITM) workshops to offer high-quality content to create meaningful connections within Charlotte, DeSoto, Manatee, and Sarasota counties.
These workshops always begin with a question of the day to engage each participant. A recent workshop on Making Connections began with the question, “What is a childhood memory that you’d like to share with the group?” The participants paused for reflection and then started sharing their memories.
As each memory came across the zoom room, you could see smiles and nods as others listened to the stories. Making Connections has a component of figuring out what’s the same and what’s different. As the discussion grew, participants shared similar experiences as they recalled their own fond memories.
What made this session so special was the walk down memory lane. I’m hopeful that you can make a meaningful connection with one of the memories shared below.
- Have you ever had an Easter egg hunt? With real eggs? Several of us in the room did, and we relished at the simplicity of the fun!
- Have you ever had an imaginary friend? What about an imaginary umbrella that you took everywhere with you and believed that it really kept you dry?
- A curious participant still wonders why only the eucalyptus trees in his backyard died, but the rest survived. Are there any unsolved mysteries you’ve forgotten about?
- What holiday traditions did you have as a child that you’ve passed on to your own children? One participant said that her extended family always alternated three holidays. Her family still celebrates holidays, but there is no family here to alternate with.
- There was a native Floridian in the group, and she fondly remembers lobstering and scalloping before it became so popular that you have to plan those trips in advance now!
- A group favorite was about honeysuckle. I felt a little left out since I never experienced this. However, for this group, the memory of the taste brought them joy. Now I’m looking forward to trying it.
- Another fan favorite was time spent reading and escaping in the many stories on the long summer days. This leads to conversations about your favorite stories or characters!
Recalling simpler times was time well spent in getting the participants engaged and connected!
A question of the day is a great way to engage with your kiddo and promote the seven essential skills every child needs!