Attendance Awareness Poster Contest
In honor of Attendance Awareness Month in September, the Suncoast Campaign for Grade-Level Reading hosts an Attendance Awareness Poster Contest to promote good attendance habits and help students and parents understand why going to school every day matters.
During the inaugural Attendance Awareness Poster Contest in 2015, 38,000 students from Manatee and Sarasota counties in grades K–12 learned the importance of outstanding attendance by creating their own personalized artwork. In the months that followed, elementary schools in both counties with a history of chronic absenteeism showed significant reductions in student absences. This region has embraced the Attendance Awareness Poster Contest.
ATTENDANCE FAST FACTS
- In the Manatee-Sarasota region, nearly 10,000 students are chronically absent
- In some communities, chronic absence affects 1 in 4 children
- Nationally, as many as 7.5 million students miss 10 percent or more of the school year – that’s 135 million days
REDUCING CHRONIC ABSENCE IS A SOLUTION
For many students as young as pre-K and kindergarten, chronic absence – missing 10 percent or more than 18 days of school each year – puts them on a path to fail to read on grade level by third grade, struggling with coursework in middle school and off track for graduating high school.
When we work together – families, school and community partners – to monitor data, encourage a habit of regular attendance and reduce hurdles that keep children from getting to school, chronic absence will be significantly reduced.
Learn more about the importance of consistent attendance in our Issues section.
- In 2017, more than 38,304 students in grades pre-k–5 created a poster with the message Every Day Counts
- In 2017, 65 public elementary schools in Sarasota and Manatee county participated
- In 2017, a total of 407 students from Sarasota and Manatee county won prizes for their artwork
2017–2018 REGIONAL WINNERS Manatee County
2017–2018 REGIONAL WINNERS Sarasota County
A panel of judges selected by the Suncoast Campaign for Grade-Level Reading based the winning posters on the following criteria:
- Use of the “Every Day Counts” template with the “Every Day Counts” icon remaining visible
- Relevance to the theme — Attendance Awareness
- Creativity | Originality
- Visual clarity and appeal
2017–2018 SCHOOL GRADE-LEVEL WINNERS
Winners of the 2017-18 Attendance Awareness Poster Contest received tickets to the opening weekend of Circus Sarasota on February 9–10, 2018.
Regional winners will be honored in front of the School Board and gifted with an iPad. The School District of Manatee County’s event is scheduled for February 27th, 2018, and Sarasota County Schools’ event happened on February 6, 2017.